Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2014

Raisin Coffee Cake

So here is another envelope recipe.  Kind of a tricky one, but all in all the trickiest part was figuring out what shape to bake it in.  I'm still not sure that I have it right but it's probably pretty close.  Anyway, here is the envelope:


So looking at the list of ingredients I could tell right away given the amount of liquid compared to dry ingredients that this was a muffin or at least mixed via the muffin method.  So that means, mix all the wet ingredients together, then in a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together.  Finally add the wet to the dry and mix ONLY TO COMBINE.  It will be lumpy but that's OK.  Finally stir in extras like fruit or nuts then bake.  Sounds pretty easy, but what shape is it supposed to be?  To this day, I haven't figured it out.  For today, it will be a coffee cake.  If anyone tries this in muffin tins and it works out, let me know.

Also, one cup of fat...I suspect that was probably lard given the age of this recipe.  I'm wasn't sure I really wanted to use lard so I decided to substitute shortening, but in all honesty the fat was probably intended to be lard.  You could also sub butter or some other solid fat (coconut oil would also work well).

What I also love about this recipe is the amount of raisins.  One cup or more...I guess it's really up to the baker in this case.  When I made it, I used one cup with worked out pretty good.  I suppose you could add more if you wanted or throw in some nutmeats (hah, nutmeats), too if you like that sort of thing.

Ok so following the muffin method, mixing and baking in a 9x13 pan, you get something that looks like this:

Here is a close up of the cut pieces:

Not bad for a cake shape.  Moist, but the cake came out pretty dense so small pieces are recommended.  I suspect if made in a muffin shape, it would be less dense, but having not tried it myself I can't be sure.

I also have to say that using the applesauce seemed to really help keep the cake moist.

So here is my take on the final recipe:

Helen Reilly's Raisin Coffee Cake (or Muffins):

Ingredients:
1 c. Shortening (or lard, butter, coconut oil, etc.)
2 c. Sugar
2 Eggs
2 c. Applesauce
3 1/2 c Flour
2 c. Oatmeal
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cloves
1 tsp. Salt
1 c. Raisins

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Mix flour, oatmeal, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt together and set aside.
3) In a large bowl cream together shortening and sugar.
4) Add eggs one at a time and cream until well blended.
5) Add applesauce and mix until combined.
5) Add flour mixture and stir only to moisten.
6) Stir in raisins.
7) Pour batter in a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 35-40 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes approximately 3 dozen servings

No comments:

Post a Comment